Ep 052: Functions! Functions! Functions!
Each week, we discuss a different topic about Clojure and functional programming.
This week, our topic is: “Functions! Functions! Functions!” We wonder how we could function without these critical building blocks, so we catagorize their varied uses.
- “Functions put the fun in functional.”
- “Each function category has a different mindset.”
- “Programming is more fun when you’re only thinking about the problem in front of you.”
- “Naming bits of computation helps you understand an abstraction without having to dip into it.”
- “So you don’t want the function to be called ‘write-or-fetch-or-sleep-or-return!’?”
- “Side effecting functions shouldn’t think. They are grunts.”
- “The I/O fairy hands you data, and you get it all transformed with pure functions, and then you hand it back to the I/O fairy.”
- “That Twitter use case, that has a lot more side effects.”